LotusLive: Meetings, offered by InterCall, gives you access to simple, reliable and affordable web conferencing. Below are frequently asked questions about how to use this web meeting software.
Can an individual participant's slow Internet connections affect the host’s performance or the performance of the entire web conference?
No, participants’ individual connections to the Internet and the LotusLive: Meetings service only affect the performance and experience of that individual user. However, a poor host connection can impact the overall performance for everyone.
How can I improve the performance of my web conference?
A fast and reliable Internet connection will ensure that your web conference performs well. When you use the Application Sharing feature, change your resolution and color depth to the lowest acceptable settings. If the application being shared is not graphic-intensive, use the Best Speed option in the Select Application to Share window.
How secure is my web conference?
All communications between users’ browsers and LotusLive: Meetings are encrypted with the same industry standard 128-bit SSL encryption that used to protect e-commerce transactions on the Internet.
Are presentations being stored or cached on end users’ machines?
Depending on how information is being presented in a web conference, some content is cached and some is not. When the presenting published PowerPoint, Word and Excel documents some JPEG and HTML content will be cached on users’ browsers. When sharing applications, the content is not cached in the local browsers. Please be aware that it is not possible to prohibit users from using third party software to capture and store any content which is displayed on their screens during your presentations.
I’m receiving a pop-up blocked message when I join. Will this affect my conference?
When you log in, the conference interface will attempt to open in a new window. If your pop-up blocker is enabled you will receive a warning and that the conference interface cannot be opened and provided a link to click to force the window open. Once the conference window has been successfully opened the pop-up blocker will no longer interfere.
I tried publishing my presentation but it failed. What caused this to happen?
Below are some possible causes for this problem:
- The document upload may not have completed due a to a network glitch. Verify the network connection and attempt to re-publish the document.
- An error was encountered during the document conversion which may have been due to unsupported features such as password protection or embedded objects. The document can be modified to allow it to be published or it can simply be shared using Application Sharing.
- Verify that the file is a supported file type i.e. Word, Excel or PowerPoint® in Office 20003 format or earlier.
I am trying to publish a document and the screen has not changed for many minutes.
Check the network connection speed and the file size. If the connection is slow or the file is very large it may take several minutes for the document to be uploaded to the service.
What document types are supported for publishing?
The supported document types include Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Office 2007 document formats are not supported, but Office 2007 documents can be saved in a compatible format.
How do I publish multiple documents?
Multiple documents can be published into your account, but they must be uploaded and converted one at a time. One document can be displayed at a given time.
Can I publish documents that have been created in Microsoft Office 2007?
Yes, to publish documents created in Office 2007 follow these steps:
- Open the file in Office 2007.
- From the File menu, choose Save As.
- Select Save as Type MS Office 97-2003, then publish the new file you just created.
Will embedded animations, audio and video work after my PowerPoint presentation is published?
No, the conversion process will turn your PowerPoint slides into JPG images which do not contain animation or embedded audio or video.
Is my presentation secure? Can other people see my presentation?
Yes, your presentation is secure. To view your presentation, it is necessary for participants to join your live web conference. A 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) is used for all communications, ensuring that everything transmitted to users is encrypted and secure. You can delete your published documents at any time.
What type of applications can I share?
You can share any applications that you can open on your computer. In the Share Desktop mode, whatever you see on your screen is visible also to participants.
Are attendees required to have the software I’m sharing on their computer?
No. Because you’re only sharing a view of the applications on your computer, participants do not need any special software installed on their computers
Can I share an application that contains an audio component?
Application Sharing supports all types of visual software applications. You may share applications that have audio components; however, participants will only see the visual portion but will not be able to hear the audio.
Can I share more than one application at a time?
Yes. You can share any number of applications you want.
- Click Share on the presenter toolbar.
- A dialog window will appear. From the radio buttons that appear at the top of the window you may select Choose the applications to share and select the specific application(s) you wish to share or select Share the entire Desktop.
- Click Share at the bottom of the Application Sharing dialog window.
- A view of the application(s) you checked will be shared with your attendees.
Do I have the ability to remotely control a participant’s computer?
Yes. This is possible when the platform being controlled is running a Windows-based operating system in combination with either the Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher or Firefox browser 1+. Remote control is not supported on non-windows operating systems or Windows operating systems with browsers other than Internet Explorer and Firefox.
How do I retrieve my recording?
To retrieve your recording:
- After your conference has concluded, log back into your conference room.
- Click Record on the toolbar.
- The archive tab will appear. You will see a list of all archived recordings.
- On the right-hand side there are three links.
- To watch the recording immediately click the .exe link.
- To download the file to save.
- To delete the file click the delete link. (Note: Deleted files cannot be retrieved.)
- Send bridge access number.
I don’t see my (polling, published Word or Excel document) in my recording?
The recording feature will not record polling sessions or published Word or Excel documents.
My reservationless audio account requires that I enter two separate codes. There isn’t a field for the second code so how do I connect to my audio conference?
To enter a second code while initiating a recording session:
- Complete Step 1 and dial-out to the audio conferencing platform.
- Complete Step 2. Enter and send the first audio code to the audio platform and listen for audio prompt.
- Repeat Step 2 with the second set of codes and listen for audio prompt.
- Enter the recording file name.
- Press Start Recording.
How long are recordings posted?
The web conferencing application has the ability to store recordings anywhere from one to 30 days. Check with your system administrator to determine the length of time for your company.
Can you edit a recording?
You cannot edit a recording file so it is very important to start the recording at the appropriate time.
Can the recording be paused?
Recording cannot be paused. If a recording is stopped and then restarted, a new file will be created.
Is there a time limit for how a long a recording can be?
No. There is no time limit.
Does the recording feature record both the audio and web conferences?
Yes. As long as there is an audio source present, LotusLive: Meetings will synch both audio and web together. If no audio source is present the application will prompt the user with a “No audio source is present would you like to record the web only?” dialog.
How do I record a session, both the web and the audio conference?
- Click Start to begin the web conference. Note: You cannot begin recording before a conference has been started.
- Click Start Recording from the web conference toolbar.
- Read and accept the terms and conditions regarding the recording feature. Note: The feature will not work if you do not click Accept.
- The interface provides a step-by-step guide to successfully recording a conference.
- Verify that the computer speakers have proper volume.
- Enter the audio bridge number then press Dial.
- Send bridge access number.
- Turn off or mute speakers.
- Enter a name (optional) for the recording and, when ready, press Start Recording.
I am the host but I can't log in and keep receiving error messages.
Follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Complete the system check.
- Make note of any error messages
- Verify the login credentials.
- Check that the credentials are not being reversed.
- Verify that session cookies are enabled in the browser.
I am supposed to join a call but I am unable to join the conference.
Follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Complete the system check.
- Make sure the conference has started. You must click Start, located on the toolbar before participants can join the web conference.
- Make sure the participant is using the correct login credentials.
- Make sure the Internet connection is good.
- Make sure that cookies and scripting are enabled on the browser.